New to Home Care?
Many times, caring for a client involves family, so we also play a role in providing respite for the “family caregiver” (i.e., a wife caring for a husband or a daughter/son caring for her/his parents). Constant caregiving can bring considerable stress, because the caregiver’s focus is centered on the one needing care. Very often, we see that when we give relief with daily routines, allowing the family caregiver(s) more time for themselves, the relationship strengthens.
In the 21st century, the demands placed on family and other informal caregivers will escalate, affecting nearly every American family. If you find yourself caring for an aging loved one, you are not alone! Consider the following:
- Nearly a quarter (23.9%) of U.S. households are now involved in caring for an elderly family member or relative, spending an average of 20 hours a week in caregiving-related chores.
- Some 80% of caregivers provide unpaid assistance seven days a week.
- More than 60% of all family caregivers say they have suffered from depression.
- Long distance caregivers miss nearly 15 million days of work each year.
- Long-term family caregiving takes a significant toll on workers. Lost productivity, absenteeism, interruptions and replacing employees due to elder care costs American business in excess of $11.4 billion annually.
- A significant decline in the number of family caregivers is occurring in the U.S., while at the same time, the demand for elder care is increasing.
The Senior’s Choice can help! There is a member of The Senior’s Choice near you who can provide:
- Qualified, caring, trained, insured, bonded, and flexible caregivers who can help you take a few hours, without feeling guilty or stressed, while you take care of yourself or other members of your family. Our caregivers can assist your elderly loved one for a few hours a week, a few hours a day, or more. Giving yourself a little bit of time away may be just what the doctor ordered and will help you to be a much better family caregiver.
- Access to information and training for caregivers. Our members have access to (and offer) a wealth of information, training and resources for caregivers.
- Fall-prevention assessments and training. Did you see our very own Steve Everhart on the CBS Early Show being interviewed about “Avoiding Life-Threatening Falls”? One of the largest sources of injuries among seniors is falling. We can help you assess the risks that your loved one faces and provide education on how to minimize the risk of falling. Also, if you request, one of our members will even conduct a free workshop on fall prevention for your group. Visit the Fall Prevention section to learn more.
- Home safety checks. Our members have extensive experience in the multi-faceted process of ensuring that your loved one’s home is safe, which is vital to maintaining independence for as long as possible.
- Support and understanding. Our members can help you get connected with support groups and individuals in your area that can help YOU, as well as help you care for your loved one.
To schedule an assessment for you or a loved one, or to receive more information about in-home care services provided by The Senior’s Choice members, simply click here. Kindly fill out the request form and your information will be forwarded to The Senior’s Choice member nearest to you. You will then be contacted by that member to schedule the assessment.
Consider a business that
Makes a difference
Join the world's largest and most recognizable membership network of senior care providers and start making a difference today.
Check out our TSC
Click below and watch some videos to learn more about The Senior's Choice, our Members, and services.